The Equine Lameness Prevention Organization, Inc. is a nonprofit corporation organized and operated for education, research, and charitable purposes. Specifically, this organization has been formed to:
- Educate the public on subjects useful to individuals & beneficial to the community.
- Advance equine education & scientific research.
- Support other individuals and organizations conducting charitable activities.
The purpose of this organization is to offer information on subjects useful to horse owners, trainers, professional equine health care providers, and the equine community as a whole. Additional, the E.L.P.O. hopes to encourage progress within the equine industry through advance education and scientific research. By gathering and organizing information through leading experts and research regarding lameness in horses, the E.L.P.O. is able to distribute the information to the equine industry to ultimately help treat and prevent lameness in horses.
As you can imagine, there are many facets to maintaining equine health and soundness, and the tasks involved in achieving the organization’s goals are numerous. In the professional experiences of many of our advisors, many of the causes of lameness in horses can be traced back to lack of good foot function or hoof related pathologies. Therefore, the majority of the E.L.P.O.’s efforts at this early stage are centered on hoof care and the practices of trimming and farriery. However, in time the Equine Lameness Prevention Organization will have the means by which to expand our efforts into other important fields of equine health care. Through donations and the support of the equine community, we believe we can make a positive contribution to soundness of the modern day horse and to the prevention of future lameness in equine everywhere.
The vision of the Equine Lameness Prevention Organization (E.L.P.O.) is to facilitate the establishment of an Equine Community where equines are free from lameness and are able to maintain soundness so that they may be enjoyed by future generations.
Our mission is to provide hoof care and equine care guidelines that are based upon research and the practical experiences of successful equine care professionals from around the world. When this is established, the E.L.P.O. will be in a position to offer this essential information to equine owners and equine professionals through various structured educational venues and professional certification opportunities.
The E.L.P.O. is guided by the following defining values. These values will govern our actions and decisions and we believe that putting our values into practice creates the pathway for our vision and ultimate goals for equine soundness and performance.
1) We take responsibility for QUALITY…
Our information and education will be the gold standard in terms of quality, accuracy and sensible implementation. We will deliver excellence, participate in continuous improvement and respond vigorously to necessary change. We will strive to be on the cutting edge of lameness prevention and improving performance in equines. Each participant in the E.L.P.O. is responsible for quality in both individual and collective endeavors.
2) We deliver COMMUNITY SATISFACTION…
We are dedicated to satisfying the needs of the Equine Community. We believe in listening to their requests, understanding their expectations and respecting all members of the community. We strive to exceed those expectations through cooperation, research, certification and education.
3) We provide LEADERSHIP as an organization and as individuals…
The E.L.P.O. leadership is founded on talented equine professionals that effectively apply advanced technology, innovative equine care practices and sound business management. We each lead through our competence, awareness and teamwork.
4) We act with INTEGRITY in all we do…
We are each personally accountable for the highest standards of behavior, including honesty and fairness in all aspects of our work. We fulfill our commitments as responsible citizens and equine professionals and will consistently treat equine owners, equine professionals, and other equine community organizations with the highest respect.
5) We value EQUINE PROFESSIONALS…
We treat one another with respect and take pride in the significant contributions of each individual, taking into account diverse backgrounds and creative ideas. Our continued success requires us to provide the education and development needed to help the equine community prosper and we are committed to openness and trust in our relationships.
Our Five Key Behaviors
- Live by the Organization Values
- Focus on Education & Excellent Information
- Act with Vigilance & Common Sense
- Communicate Openly
- Collaborate Across the Equine Community
The Equine Lameness Prevention Organization is a strong advocate for the professional and ethical treatment of horses. A part of the mission of the ELPO and its members is to develop, apply, and maintain guidelines for conduct as professional equine health care providers. These guidelines place the health and well-being of the horse as our main objective, both from a soundness perspective and in the manner in which the horse is treated. Ethical and professional conduct towards one’s peers and cooperation with other horse care professionals are also a priority and highly encourage by the E.L.P.O. membership. By constantly striving to achieve and maintain these standards, we hope to see improvements in both equine soundness and health, as well as success and fulfillment for hoof care professionals everywhere.
E.L.P.O. Member Guidelines for Conduct
One goal of the Equine Lameness Prevention Organization is to help bring the professionalism of trimmers, farriers and other equine professionals to a higher level. We hope that the efforts of each individual member, as well as the E.L.P.O. directors and advisors, will make special efforts to conduct themselves in the manner suggested below. Through the commitment of each individual, the Equine Lameness Prevention Organization will be able to achieve this goal, as well as become an organization that the equine community will look to for support and leadership. Becoming a Certified Member of the E.L.P.O. is certainly a challenge and it has many benefits, however it comes with responsibilities as well. We hope that each E.L.P.O. Member finds value and personal satisfaction by always striving to operate their business with these guidelines for conduct in mind.
As an E.L.P.O. Member & Professional Equine Health Care Provider, my clients can expect that I will:
- Make horse health, comfort, and welfare my primary concerns.
- Treat all horses under my care humanely and with respect.
- Maintain & continue to develop my professional skills & knowledge.
- Be honest, trustworthy, and will recognize the limits of my professional competency.
- Always strive to maintain good relationships with my clients, earning their trust, respecting their views, and protecting client confidentiality.
- Always strive to maintain good relationships with my professional colleagues of all levels.
- Always strive to respond in a professional & courteous manner to any complaints or criticisms against my work or the work of others.
- Strive to offer assistance and/or professional consultations for clients & colleagues whenever it is requested of me.
- Abide by the legal obligations and limitations of my profession.
- Do my best to represent the E.L.P.O. and my fellow Members with ethical conduct & professionalism of the highest degree.